Mercury is a chemical element that is frequently referred to as quicksilver. It is the only metallic element that is liquid under conventional temperature and pressure conditions. Mercury is extremely poisonous to humans, although it was formerly thought to be safe when used as part of a filling. It can, however, cause havoc in your body without you even realizing it, especially if you’ve had fillings like this in your mouth for years.
MERCURY FILLINGS – WHAT ARE THEY?
Mercury fillings, often known as amalgam fillings, have been used in dentistry for over a century to cure tooth decay. Dental amalgam is composed of a metal combination, the majority of which is mercury. Dental amalgam is made up of about half elemental mercury, which is a liquid metal, and half silver, copper, and tin.
ARE MERCURY FILLINGS SAFE?
If consumed in large quantities, mercury can be harmful to people. In general, mercury poisoning is caused by eating particular types of seafood regularly, such as tuna and swordfish, rather than by amalgam fillings. Although mercury fillings include 50% mercury, the amount used in a dental filling is so little that it is exceedingly unlikely to create health concerns. Furthermore, according to the American Dental Association, a substantial study has been conducted on the safety of amalgam fillings, and studies have repeatedly proven these fillings to be safe.
THE ADVANTAGES OF REMOVING YOUR MERCURY FILLINGS
Many people who choose to have their silver fillings removed recognize the advantages of being mercury-free. By having these silver fillings removed at Nelson Ridge Family Dental in New Lenox, IL, you will be able to:
- Avoid increasing your exposure to and contact with mercury. Mercury vapors are generated over time when we chew gum or eat hard foods like cereals.
- Provide patients with a “peace of mind” effect. When people know their mouths are free of hazardous materials, they feel more at peace.
- Some persons who have suffered symptoms associated with mercury poisoning may likely see them subside or significantly lessen.
- The replacement of silver fillings with natural-looking composite fillings has significant aesthetic benefits. Patients will no longer be self-conscious about the appearance of their teeth.
REPLACEMENT OPTIONS FOR MERCURY FILLING
Mercury fillings can be replaced to enhance the health and appearance of damaged teeth. Our dentist at Nelson Ridge Family Dental in New Lenox, IL offers a variety of mercury filling replacement options, including:
- Dental crowns: Dental crowns may be the best option for those who have large amalgam fillings or dental damage that is too severe for repair with tooth-colored fillings or inlays and onlays. Dental crowns are tooth-shaped porcelain replacements that fit over broken teeth.
- Tooth-colored fillings: Tooth-colored fillings are made of a durable resin that is color-matched to the surrounding tooth. The resin attaches directly to the tooth, assisting in the restoration of broken teeth’ strength.
- Onlays and inlays: Another tooth-colored alternative for replacing outdated amalgam fillings is inlays and onlays. Inlays and onlays, often known as partial crowns, are used to restore the structure of teeth with massive fillings.
We hope that this blog has provided you with the necessary knowledge. If you’re seeking the best mercury filling removal service in New Lenox, IL, visit Nelson Ridge Family Dental. We will take care of all of your dental needs and give you the best dental care possible.